So we start March with a mixed bag of weather and so it will continue I guess. On the menu one doesn’t quite know whether lighter foods are needed or to stick with winter warmers. Inspired with the celebration of St David’s Day I have turned to Leeks for inspiration. Innovation and inventiveness is always the order of the day and of course simplicity. This dish may be topped with a pie crust or filo pastry.
I have to confess that for speed I have often reverted to using Cream Cheese as a base for a White Sauce negating the roux and classic method. It also gives that little bit extra unctuousness. It can be used for Cauliflower Cheese, Lasagne, Pasta Sauces – let your imagination run wild indeed. Pasta bakes or Vegetable bakes.
A variety of Pestos in the cupboard are also very useful to add that little extra flavour. What else I wonder do you keep in your cupboards. Tomatoes – chopped are a good stand by as well as Passata and Tomato Paste. Stock cubes always. I also like a selection of soups to use as a base for other sauces. With management and planning I reckon to have supper on the table within an hour or less. Sometimes I do preparation for the next night at the same time as preparing and cooking the meal in hand.
Chicken & Leek Pot
8 Skinless & Boneless Chicken Thighs
1½ lbs trimmed Leeks – cleaned and thickly sliced
1 Large Garlic Clove – peeled and crushed
10 oz Potatoes – thinly sliced (you choose if you want to peel)
7 ozs Cream Cheese with Garlic & Herbs
3 fl.oz White Wine
¼ pt Chicken Stock
2 tsp Cornflour
- In a flameproof and oven proof dish. Warm some oil and add the Leeks and Garlic. Cook gently without colour to soften.
- Put the Cheese, Wine, Stock and Cornflour into a blender and blitz together
- Arrange Chicken Thighs on top of the Leeks then pour the Cheese mixture over.
- Layer the potatoes slices on top and cover lightly with oiled greaseproof. Add the lid and bake in a medium oven for about 1¼ hours until Chicken is cooked. Remove the greaseproof and turn up the heat to brown the potatoes or place under a hot grill.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables or Salad